Saturday, April 28, 2012

I call it "Baby's First Tonnetz."



You start out by crocheting a torus (pictured: halfway through).

Crocheting completed, before stitching the edges together.


Stitched and stuffed!

Candid shot of my room at 3:00 am.

Then I added some embroidery floss in 12 colors, representing the 12 keys in the Circle of Fifths: C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, C#, G#(A flat), E flat, B flat, F, and back to C! Like the Circle of Fifths, the color wheel is also cyclic!
And voila! This is the other side. Continuous thread (12 strands linked toghether) in a continuous spiral around the torus.



Next up: making a larger torus that will make the Tonnetz easier to embroider. I tried to do just one iteration of the Tonnetz on the pink torus, but it became so distorted that the rows didn't line up into columns. Hopefully doing more than one tesselation will make it easier. I'll probably just embroider little discrete knots or points rather than a continuous thread.


2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! If I were thrifty enough, I would make my babies a Tonnetz toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! this was a very rough attempt. Are you a theorist? I'd like to meet more math-theory folks online.

      Delete